Monday, October 13, 2014

Updating LM17 & Encryption FUBAR

A holiday around here, summer is coming, winter is dead.
Ideal time to upgrade Linux Mint on the T410, from LM13 to LM17, both the Cinnamon edition.

Of course, the damn lappie gave a "fan error" message, so I had to disassembly it force a bit of motion onto the god damn fan.

While doing so, and before closing it up, tested the whole thing... It runs, as the picture shows.

After that, a normal installation on the 128 GB SSD HD, updates plus all the shit I normally use on my boxes...

Only problem, and the first time I had one of these, was that after finishing the installation, I've changed my password, as I always do, but, somehow the sync between the password file and the encryption key of my $HOME lost sync, so I wasn't able to login via X Window/ Desktop, after I type my username/ password, and a 15/20 seconds delay, I got the error message:

Could not update ICEauthority file

So, I've tried login in thru a virtual console, no problem there, but got a warning message:

Signature not found in user keyring

If then I type:

ecryptfs-mount-private

Typing my old password, BTW... And then switch back to the X Window login console, I was albe to login without any problem at all.
But it was a major PITA.
Solution, reboot then switch to a virtual console and type:

ecryptfs-rewrap-passphrase /home/.ecryptfs/$USER/.ecryptfs/wrapped-passphrase

It'll ask the old password, and then new (the actual you are using!!!) twice.
After that, everything went A Ok.




Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home