Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Customize mouse cursor icons on Snow Leopard

Or fuck off and die a slow death, I-Beam!

Well, took me a while, but I finally got rid (mostly) of the awful I-Beam cursor icon.
The idea of editing the CoreGraphics file went nowhere... So I installed Unsanity's Mighty Mouse.
Right now Mighty Mouse does not have an official Snow Leopard release, so it is necessary to use the one for Leopard.
There are some instructions floating around on the internet how to do so, like this one Changing your mouse cursor (OSX 10.6), but I found them to miss a part or not easy to follow; so here is my setup step by step.

Install APE, and then reboot.
Download Mighty Mouse, tested with "mightymouse-20b1.dmg", mount the dmg file, and then:


cp -R "/Volumes/Mighty Mouse/Mighty Mouse Installer.app/Contents/Resources/ui/Mighty Mouse.ape" \
~/Desktop/
cp -R "/Volumes/Mighty Mouse/Mighty Mouse Installer.app/Contents/Resources/ui/Mighty Mouse.prefPane" \
~/Desktop/
cd ~/Desktop/
cd "Mighty Mouse.ape/Contents"
cp Info.plist Info.plist.ORIG


Edit the Info.plist file with your favorite editor, it has to end like this:

<key>APELeopardCertified</key>
<true/>
<key>APESnowLeopardCertified</key>
<true/>

Then:

cp -R "Mighty Mouse.prefPane" ~/Library/PreferencePanes/
cp -R "Mighty Mouse.ape" ~/Library/Application Enhancers/

I had to create the directory
~/Library/Application Enhancers/
.

Logout and then log back in, and start using it.
Been using it for the last couple of weeks without any issues on 10.6.5, even tho I have a valid license from when I was using Mighty Mouse -the PPC version- on Tiger it seems like Unsanity has changed its registration process, so it doesn't work; nad incidentally, everything seems to point that Unsanity is out of business so I guess I'l have to keep using this unregistered version, which has nagging window now and then.

Related posts:

Small potatoes? Big cursors!
The fight against IBeam goes on
The fight against IBeam goes on (and on...)
The fight continues...

Labels: , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger hictio said...

Hey, Anonymous ;)
I say not only download, but also install it.
Get it here.
Incidentally, not sure if you have read any other post, but this, meaning Mighty Mouse on Snow Leopard, works A Ok on the other updates that has been popping out after I've made this post.

12:52 AM  
Blogger aeroedge said...

Thanks...
and I didn't know that there have been new updates since yours, so thanks for that also.
Good to hear Mighty Mouse will work now.

12:27 AM  
Blogger hictio said...

Yes, it does, Zinger.
Right now on 10.6.7 with every other update applied (Security, Safari, iTunes, the works) and that Mighty Mouse still working like it should.
The only semi major drawback is the fact that you can't register it, so it keeps busting your balls with the nagging; I've have disabled, renaming a couple of files, the online check that it tries to perform, which in the end simply added to the whole nagging thing an extra annoyance.

3:53 PM  
Blogger hictio said...

Just installed 10.6.8, Mighty Mouse seems to be working just fine.

12:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, i have installed APE and evething rebooted my mac, but where do i type in this code?

11:43 AM  
Blogger hictio said...

You have to type those onto a Terminal, which it is located on "Applications/Utilities/"

1:17 AM  
Blogger beachboy said...

do you know of a resource that is still available to download so i can flip my pointer?

2:05 AM  
Blogger hictio said...

beachboy, sorry for the delay!!! I just saw your post.
No idea where to get it, but, I really, really doubt it'll work on any recent version of Os X.

12:57 PM  
Blogger beachboy said...

hicitio thanks for letting me know anyways!

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home