Monday, November 03, 2008

Intrepid: Atheros WiFi card on Compaq F700

Well, on the last soul incarnation of Tango, using Ubuntu Hardy Heron, getting to work the WiFi card was impossible to me...
No matter what I have tried, nothing worked, actually, the card per worked, but I was unable to connect to any AP, no matter what encryption method the AP used, the happened if the AP was wide open.

But, on Intrepid things are completely different, I have been able to get the WiFI card up and working in no time.

Here are the steps:

1- Disable the "Support for Atheros 802.11 wireless LAN cards" on Hardware Drivers, and reboot your box.
2- Once it is back on, open a Terminal, and type:

sudo aptitude install linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic


It will ask your password, this is what it prints on screen, that is, what it will do on the box:

esteban@tango:~/Desktop$ sudo aptitude install linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic
[sudo] password for esteban:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
linux-backports-modules-2.6.27-7-generic{a}
linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic
0 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 1173kB of archives. After unpacking 3772kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]


When that is over (you'll get your prompt back), reboot, and enjoy the WiFi connection.
According to lspci, I have this WiFi card specifically:

esteban@tango:~/Desktop$ lspci | grep Atheros
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
esteban@tango:~/Desktop$


Edit:
Feb 23rd 2009
This thread is related to all the posts titled "Updates dujour" (link 1 link 2) as up to now, all the applied updates on Intrepid Ibex haven't break anything functional on the install on the Compaq F700, specially, the WiFi!!!

Labels: , , , ,

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your instructions imply that an default sources are enabled? Not a Linux newbie b/c I've been a Mandriva user for several years but new to Ubuntu. THANKS for the instructions!!! Working towards getting Ubuntu up and going on a new Compaq F700 Presario for a neighbor. He's ditching Vista for what he calls Lee-Nucks and I'm glad to help him along.

Thanks!
Chris in Cookeville

2:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meant to say "other than default sources are enabled"

Fingers are moving faster than my brain... VBG!

2:20 AM  
Blogger hictio said...

Thanks, Chris.
You mean the kernel sources? No, I have done exactly as I posted, and after that, installed all the updates provided by Canonical for Ubuntu, I have posted those as well.
Ever since the install (and updates install), the Atheros has been working A Ok on the Compaq.

Cheers.

3:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, it works!!! I was one version back in Ubuntu. I was using ver 8.04

Did the upgrade over night to 8.10 and your instructions work. The only unrelated problem I have now is that Ubuntu stalls during startup. It will complete if I hold down the return key though.

Thanks so much!
Chris

6:35 PM  
Blogger hictio said...

Glad the WiFi works.. Too bad about the booting problem, tho.
I have never had that one before.
Have you checked on the Ubuntu Forums about it?

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am looking tonight. This computer really flies. I know what I'll be shopping for when I buy a computer next time.

Thanks for your help.

1:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meant to add that if I tap the power button when it stalls it reliably completes the boot up.

1:02 AM  
Blogger hictio said...

Indeed, the Compaq flies.
I'm amazed at that as well, specially since it is not a top of the line box in any aspect.
But, if you hook up a keyboard and an external keyboard and mouse, you have an incredible box.

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you. Seriously. Will you marry me? Do you have any idea how long I've been trying to get wireless to work?

6:20 AM  
Blogger hictio said...

Anonymous @ 6:20 AM,

Don't tease me, ma'am... (I'am a "he" BTW :p )
Glad the WiFi its working.

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Worked PERFECTLY for me. Only issue was you didn't say hit Y at the Y/N question. ;-)

WELL DONE, THANKS. I am good now.

9:57 PM  
Blogger hictio said...

No one is perfect, Anonymous... :p

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So is there a way to get 8.10 to boot all by itself like a grown-up boy?

9:16 AM  
Blogger hictio said...

@Anonymous,

I don't quite get you, you know, you?

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

>>>Meant to add that if I tap the power
>>>button when it stalls it reliably
>>>completes the boot up.

I have to keep hitting return
to get 8.10 to boot.
Tapping the power button is a better
workaround, only need it 2 times,
but both are really sad.

Anyone have a fix?
thanks

11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another thing - maybe it's me...
when I rest my wrists lightly on the
f700 on either side of the touch pad,
it does funny things like switch desktops

Do I just need to disable
the second desktop, which I
have never used?
(I don't even know the key combo
to switch to it)

thanks

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! it works! Reboot each step,
but it went just as it says in this page.

Thanks!

9:43 AM  
Blogger hictio said...

Anonymous,

Your F700 is possessed, give up. Just sprinkle it with a bit of holy water and see if it helps.

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The ghost of Windows Past?

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home