Friday, August 05, 2016

Lubuntu 16.04 on the PowerMac3,5 (Quicksilver)


Yesterday installed Lubuntu on my old Quicksilver, mostly because I thought it would be a fun thing to do.
The install was painless, just remember to press the Option key, in order to select booting from the DVD Drive... I don't know why, but I was sure that if you press the C key upon booting, the PowerMac would boot from the DVD drive automagically... But it doesn't.
Then there was the partition your drive stage, I always do that by hand, and since I was installing onto two 80 GB IDE HDD, I did the partitions by hand.
I went with the following partition scheme:

Drive sda:
newworld     134 MB
/          70883 MB
swap        9000 MB

Drive sdb:
/home        81964 MB

One caveat tho, you have to be patient! The install takes time, and it looks like sometimes hangs, but it is still fighting down there... After all, the box has a Dual Proc @800 MHz and 1.5 GB of RAM.

For the love of Jeebus, I forgot how much noise a running PowerMac makes!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home