Thursday, December 27, 2007

Goliath Vs. OpenBSD: configuring X

OpenBSD desktop with the TWM
Well, today, I took sometime to configure X, as you can see on the screenshot, I still have a loooong way to go... That's twm window manager running (and it is Ok for your eyes to bleed a bit), a minimalist window manager (way before Blackbox and Fluxbox make it fashionable to be 'lightweight')

Configuring the mouse, I have a plain vanilla Serial one, a Genius NetScroll, on the console was easy, typed this as root:

wsmoused -2 -p /dev/cua00 -t microsoft


And added this to the '/etc/rc.conf.local' file to automate the execution:

wsmoused_flags="-2 -p /dev/cua00 -t microsoft"


Now, getting to work on X was a little more trickier, but not much, it looks like you can't run the console mouse service 'wsmoused' as well as X, so, I have to kill the console service, before starting X. There is a somehow lengthy discussion/ post about it here

On the xorg.conf file, the mouse is defined like this:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "Microsoft"
Option "Device" "/dev/tty00"


I have yet to get the mouse wheel working, and install another lightweight desktop environment, maybe even Xfce, I'm seriously thinking in getting more RAM for Goliath, if I can maxx it to 768 MB, and get a faster CPU (like a 700 MHz one), I can easily use it as a desktop, 'always on' kinda box.
The main advantage is that it uses the same RAM than my QuickSilver box, Thor.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home