Tuesday, November 05, 2019

OpenBSD on The Thinkpad T60p

Installed OpenBSD today on the T60p.
The installation took about 2 hours (including XFCE, which BTW, it is the latest of the latest 4.14 go OpenBSD go!!!...)



Welcome to the OpenBSD/i386 6.6 Installation program.
(I)nstall

I choose install, of course!

Choose your keyboard layout? L
us.swapctrlcaps

Great Scott! This was a great find, don't remember this layout option the last time I've installed OpenBSD.

System hostname? t60p

Original, right?

Which network interface do you wish to configure?
em0

IPv4 address for em0? 10.120.10.14
Netmaks for em0? 255.255.255.240
Ipv6 address fro em0? [none]
Available network interfaces are: em0 ath0 vlan0.
Which network interface do you wish to configure? (or 'done') [done]

Choose em0, and setup a fixed IP address, I was under the impression that em0 was the WiFi NIC, but I was wrong! See below.

Default Ipv4 route? 10.120.10.1

The default gateway

DNS domain name? arenales.lan

My own ridiculous domain inside my home.

DNS nameservers? 8.8.4.4 8.8.8.8

Thanks, Google.



Which disk is the root disk? sd0
Use (W)hole disk or (E)dit the MBR? [whole]

This is another new, IIRC.. Auto partitioning! Used the default, although, for a personal use lappie, I don't like to have other partition than /, in order to maximize the available HDD space.

Let's install the sets!
Location of sets? (cd0 disk http or 'done') [cd0]
No filesystems found on cd0
Location of sets? (cd0 disk http or 'done') http
HTTP Sever? (hostname of 'done') https://openbsd.c3sl.ufpr.br/




Sets: Installed all of them except for comp & games

Reboot the lappie, and then:

syspatch

So you update the system, and then, again reboot.

usermod -G wheel MY_USERNAME

Add my user to wheel, so I can use su.

pkg_add zile

Installed my lightweight Emacs, so I can edit "/etc/rc.local" and "/etc/rc.conf.local"

Then installed XFCE a login manager and some needed packages:

pkg_add xfce-extras slim slim-themes consolekit2 polkit

WiFi setup:
Like I said, I was under the impression that em0 was the WiFi NIC, but it turned out to be ath0... So, to use it simply create the file /etc/hostname.ath0 and set it up (there is no need for extra firmware).
To make it use a fixed IP address, edit the file mentioned above like this:

nwid SID wpakey PASSWORD
inet 10.120.10.14 255.255.255.240 NONE

Reboot

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home