Tuesday, February 28, 2017

When a USB Stick Goes To The Underworld

A much beloved USB key went read-only today...

opti ~ $ sudo fsck -n /dev/sdb1
fsck from util-linux 2.27.1
fsck.fat 3.0.28 (2015-05-16)
0x41: Dirty bit is set. Fs was not properly unmounted and some data may be corrupt.
 Automatically removing dirty bit.
Leaving filesystem unchanged.


opti ~ $ sudo fsck.vfat -v -a -w /dev/sdb1
fsck.fat 3.0.28 (2015-05-16)
Checking we can access the last sector of the filesystem
0x41: Dirty bit is set. Fs was not properly unmounted and some data may be corrupt.
 Automatically removing dirty bit.
Write 512 bytes at 0:Operation not permitted


Lucky me I have backups I guess... Although, so far, the info on the USB key is still available.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger ShreyRupani said...

Hi, could you fix this issue? Make it writeable again?

6:55 AM  
Blogger hictio said...

I don't really recall... I guess I wasn't able to solve the problem in the end, the USB Stick was fried and I had to throw it away.

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home