Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Karmic Koala on a Thinkpad T43

All the info I have found thru Google, before making my own installation, that deals with Linux (particularly Ubuntu) on a Thinkpad T43 points mostly to prior Ubuntu releases, so, hoping someone might find this useful, here is my experience (rather good actually) installing Karmic on a T43.
After nearly a week of usage, things seems really good with the laptop.

Specs of the laptop:

Thinkpad T43 type 2669
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.86GHz
RAM: 2GB
HDD: 2.5" PATA EIDE Western Digital Scorpio - 250 GB
Swap: 3 GB
Partition: One whole / partition (to maximize the HDD usage, don't care about re-installing from backups upon releases)

Choose the Alternate CD installer, the 32 bits release, and used the default EXT4 file system. No problems at all during the install, it took about an hour to get the whole thing installed.

Upon first boot, everything worked Ok out of the box, everything (WiFi, screen resolution correctly setup (1400x1050), sound, suspend to RAM, Hibernate, etc)

Drawbacks:
The special functions keys work, but they don't give any on screen feedback (except the one which sets lower or higher brightness, duh!), so it is easy to loose track of the volume actual setting.
The WiFi seems to be a little funny or temperamental, I had a few problems connecting to a few Access Points, depending on the security setting (WPA or WEP).

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home