Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Restricted Extras. Codecs & Flash on Linux Mint 18

Well, first day using the Opti -mostly- as my main rig.
Yesterday took about six hours to restore backups and then install and configure most of the programs I use (bored out of the hell and back and back again... That is the most annoying thing when it comes to dealing with computers... Overnight, the email got dloaded, easy peasy all around.
The thing looks nice and so far delivers pretty, pretty good, not much lag, and found no problems so far... Even Suspend works Ok.

Now, today things got a little messy, even tho I'm positive I did check the mark to download extra software during the install, I found out that I wasn't able to reproduce mp3 files (nor Flash worked)...
(Installed and) Started Rhythmbox and lo and behold, it only found some 10 themes, instead of the many thousand files I had.
First of, tried issuing a:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

But, even after re-starting Rhythmbox, the mp3 files didn't show up...
Then, I've read about the easy way of adding mp3 support on Linux Mint 18... Right under my nose... Simply:

Start Menu > Sound and Video > Install Multimedia Codecs

(The option will dissapear after using it)

Then again, after re-starting Rhythmbox, the mp3 files didn't show up... No matter what, it always showed only non mp3 files...
So, I closed Rhythmbox, and renamed the file:

mv ~/.local/share/rhythmbox/rhythmdb.xml\
 ~/.local/share/rhythmbox/rhythmdb.xml.OLD

Started Rhythmbox and the magic started right away... The little Optiplex was churning away indexing my thousands of mp3 files onto my beloved Rhythmbox...

With Flash things went easier... I've noticed I was missing Flash when accessed Spotify web to play some music, and it belched that Flash was needed...
So, installed like this:

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer



Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home