Friday, May 02, 2014

Ubuntu 14.04 on the Thinkpad T60p

Still not my cup of tea

Installed Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (32 bits) on the T60p today, using a SSD drive (I can't even believe there is a new LTS available... Time fucking flies...)

As expected, everything went peachy, no problems at all (Screen resolution, WiFi, Suspend/ Resume, etc, etc, etc...).
Unity feels quite snappy, the border-less windows (on top of the anti-aliased round cornered windows) look truly amazing, but the damn Global Menu implementation still sucks ass big time...

Also, with this current minimalist trend going on that strips everything of every possible configuration option, this Ubuntu release, following GNOME's "directive", doesn't offer any way to edit the keyboard layout (you know, for stuff like remapping the totally useless CapsLock key to a completely more useful additional Ctrl...)
You'll need to install GNOME Tweak Tool in order to do that, the program had a transparent window on the T60p, but I'm pretty sure that's because of the now crappy laptop video card.

Anyways, the thing is not for me, if I can't have the perfect Global Menu, then I don't want any... In the mean time, I'm patiently waiting for Linux Mint's next release, specially with all the annoyances I'm having with my current install.

Next distro hop: the newer Lubuntu.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home